Village Acceptable Use Policy
You are independently responsible for complying with all applicable laws in all of your actions related to your use of Village's services, regardless of the purpose of the use. In addition, you must adhere to the terms of this Acceptable Use Policy.
You may not use Village for activities that:
- violate any law, statute, ordinance or regulation.
- relate to transactions involving (a) narcotics, steroids, certain controlled substances or other products that present a risk to consumer safety, (b) drug paraphernalia, (c) cigarettes, (d) items that encourage, promote, facilitate or instruct others to engage in illegal activity, (e) stolen goods including digital and virtual goods, (f) the promotion of hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory or the financial exploitation of a crime, (g) items that are considered obscene, (h) items that infringe or violate any copyright, trademark, right of publicity or privacy or any other proprietary right under the laws of any jurisdiction, (i) certain sexually oriented materials or services, (j) ammunition, firearms, or certain firearm parts or accessories, (k) certain weapons or knives regulated under applicable law, or (l) providing file sharing services or access to newsgroups, (m) selling alcoholic beverages, non-cigarette tobacco products, e-cigarettes or prescription drugs/devices, (n) dealing in jewels, precious metals and stones, (o) acting as a money transmitter or selling stored value cards, or (p) selling stocks, bonds, securities, options, futures (forex) or an investment interest in any entity or property.
- relate to transactions that (a) show the personal information of third parties in violation of applicable law, (b) support pyramid or ponzi schemes, matrix programs, other "get rich quick" schemes or certain multi-level marketing programs, (c) are associated with purchases of annuities or lottery contracts, lay-away systems, off-shore banking or transactions to finance or refinance debts funded by a credit card, (d) are for the sale of certain items before the seller has control or possession of the item, (e) are by payment processors to collect payments on behalf of merchants, (f) are associated with the sale of traveler's cheques or money orders, (h) involve currency exchanges or cheque cashing businesses, (i) involve certain credit repair, debt settlement services, credit transactions or insurance activities, (k) involve offering or receiving payments for the purpose of bribery or corruption, (l) include activities involving gambling, gaming and/or any other activity with an entry fee and a prize, including, but not limited to casino games, sports betting, horse or greyhound racing, fantasy sports, lottery tickets, other ventures that facilitate gambling, games of skill (whether or not legally defined as gambling) and sweepstakes, (m) involve airlines and scheduled or non-scheduled charters/jets/air taxi operators, or (n) involve providing escrow services.
- involve the sales of products or services identified by government agencies to have a high likelihood of being fraudulent.
At Village, we take our responsibilities towards protecting animal welfare seriously. The Pet Supplies category is to help people find good, safe, and caring homes for their pets. In order to protect animal welfare and uphold UK laws (or local laws depending on your location), please respect the following rules when posting a listing on Village:
- Users are allowed 2 rehoming listings within a 12-month period. Listings exceeding this limit may be removed.
- Animals cannot be swapped, traded, or advertised for free.
- Pet Wanted listings are not permitted.
- A pet is for life. As such, we do not allow the advertisement of animals as Christmas presents, Easter Presents, Valentine’s Day presents, etc.
- We do not encourage breeding on Village. Stud/breeding services are not allowed. Similarly, animals cannot be sold for the purposes of breeding or when already pregnant.
- Litters may not be advertised before they are born. This includes hatchling eggs.
- Puppies, kittens, and other mammals may not be sold before they are 8 weeks old. They may be advertised on Village before they are 8 weeks under the condition that the listing states that they will not be rehomed until they are at least 8 weeks old.
- All dogs over 8 weeks must be microchipped before sale.
- All pet listings require a photo of the exact animal being sold. If selling a litter, each pet must be pictured in the listing, either as a group or individually. Lost/found listings are exempt from this policy.
- Village does not allow any listings that offer shipment of animals. Animals may only be sold locally so that the transactions can occur in person and the welfare of the animal can be ensured. For this same reason, meeting in a third-party location is not allowed.
- Imported pets are not allowed. This includes rescue animals from overseas.
- Under no circumstances may animals be sold for fighting purposes.
- Users selling pets are obliged to obtain information about their local legal regulations and are forced to comply with these.
Certain types of pets are not permitted on Village. As well as our list of animals not permitted on Village, please do not post a pet if they fit into any of the following restrictions:
- Dogs with docked tails, cropped/clipped ears, or tacked eyes are not allowed to be sold on Village. These types of services are also not allowed. Note: Eye tacking is permitted in breeds that are prone to entropion, such as Shar Peis.
- Cats that have been declawed or birds that have had their wings clipped are not allowed to be sold on Village. These types of services are also not allowed.
- Village’s Pet Supplies category is intended for pets only. We do not allow the sale of working or hunting dogs.
- Village does not allow the sale of animals for feeder purposes (i.e., mice to be fed to snakes), whether alive or frozen.
- Village does not allow the sale of animals that require a license to own under the Dangerous Wild Animals Act.
For Pet Related Items:
- Village does not allow the sale of prong collars, training collars, or spray collars.
- The sale of prescription drugs for pets is not permitted on Village. This includes contraceptive drugs for pets.
- Pet food, treats, and vitamins are not allowed to be sold on Village.
- Breeding equipment may be sold as long as it does not come with an animal.
To learn more about the Acceptable Use Policy, please contact us at email@example.com
Violations of the Acceptable Use Policy
We encourage you to report violations of this Acceptable Use Policy to Village immediately. If you have a question about whether a type of transaction may violate the Acceptable Use Policy, you can email Village's AUP Compliance Department at firstname.lastname@example.org
Last Updated: 25st October 2019